GRAPHIC DESIGNER, COMMUNICATIONS
Institute of Canadian Citizenship
Posted on: March 15, 2018
Who we are:
Powered by a passionate and committed national network, the Institute for Canadian Citizenship (ICC) delivers programs and special projects that inspire Canadians to be inclusive, create opportunities to connect, and encourage active citizenship. Partnering with community volunteers and iconic cultural institutions, the ICC celebrates new Canadian citizens at more than 75 community citizenship ceremonies each year. The Cultural Access Pass is unique in the world, offering new citizens free access to more than 1400 cultural attractions during their first year of citizenship. Ideas & Insights is a leading source of research on citizenship and inclusion—social, cultural, political and economic. 6 Degrees extends the reach of the ICC’s work through a global public platform that explores inclusion and citizenship in the 21st century. The ICC is a national charity co-founded by the Right Honourable Adrienne Clarkson and John Ralston Saul.
Graphic Designer, Communications
This position reports to Senior Director, Communications. There are no direct reports to this role.
This is a new full-time permanent position for an intermediate to senior graphic designer, located at our office in downtown Toronto.
Working under the supervision of the Senior Director, Communications, the incumbent will provide design services and advice to conceive, design, produce, evaluate a variety of ICC materials, in print and online. The graphic designer will join a communications and marketing team of four. Communications works alongside the ICC’s four programs—Building Citizenship, the Cultural Access Pass, Ideas & Insights, and 6 Degrees—as well as its Development and Finance units. At the discretion of the Senior Director, Communications, the incumbent provides the same expert services to support ICC-related activities led by members of the extended ICC community, including the co-chairs and board, volunteer committees, and select external partners. The incumbent conceives and produces sophisticated design and deliverables that reflect innovative thought, maintain the integrity of the parent ICC brand and its sub-brands, and contribute to the articulation and evolution of these brands.
- Conceive and produce sophisticated design and deliverables that reflect innovative thought, maintain the integrity of the parent ICC brand and its sub-brands, and contribute to the articulation and evolution of these brands. Align the design needs of diverse internal clients with the budgetary and practical limitations of each project. Deliverables include publications, templates, event and marketing collateral (e.g. invitations, banners, programs, brochures), ads, and infographics, among others.
- Use a combination of graphic design skills and technical knowledge of the web and social media to maintain, update, and contribute to the evolution of existing ICC websites and online properties (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube).
- From the initial design stage through completion, work with ICC colleagues on delivering communications and marketing products that will engage target audiences and effectively convey our brand.
- Project-manage the production of materials that will be optimised for, and produced in, both digital and print formats, as necessary. This includes working with and in some cases managing third-party contractors, such as printers, photographers, illustrators, designers, and developers.
- Ensure that all ICC material is designed and produced in line with accessibility best practices and relevant standards to reach the widest possible audience, regardless of operating system, web browser, mobile device type, or physical ability.
- Generate ideas for strategic use of graphic design in advancing the ICC’s programs, communications, and marketing. Researches and gathers appropriate design elements for production.
- Balance the needs, design requirements, and deadlines of a wide variety of internal clients simultaneously, adapting to changes in policy, design, and staff while maintaining consistency in quality and brand.
- Liaise with various external agencies, freelancers, and production contractors and collaborate with colleagues as necessary (e.g. with the Director of Finance on invoicing, with the Office Manager on delivery, etc.).
- Maintain up-to-date list of external contractors via our CRM, Salesforce.
Internal Reporting and Evaluation
- Work closely with Communications colleagues to ensure relevant budget and reporting targets and requirements are met.
- Keep key internal stakeholders updated on relevant industry and program trends.
- Design, develop, and implement evaluations for product feedback.
Requirements and Qualifications:
Education and Experience
- Post-secondary (3- or 4-year advanced diploma or degree) in a relevant field.
- Five (5) years of experience with print and digital design and production.
- Comprehensive training and experience with design software, especially Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe InDesign.
Exceptional skills and ability to work with Adobe software suite, including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro, Lightroom, and Bridge; and Microsoft Office software suite, including Word and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work with website content management systems.
- Proven experience in thinking creatively of new approaches to communicating ideas, develop unique designs that convey a recognizable meaning.
- Possession of creative flair, versatility, conceptual/visual ability and originality.
- Demonstrable graphic design skills with a strong portfolio.
- Interpersonal: Ability to constructively engage, probe, and negotiate with a wide variety of stakeholders, including internal staff and external consultants and service providers.
- Communications: Ability to on the one hand communicate effectively with ICC leadership, staff and other relevant stakeholders to ensure that design needs are accurately understood and that designs achieve the desired impact and express messages effectively; and on the other hand anticipate resistance and be able to diplomatically and convincingly defend designs and approaches to design.
- Time management: Ability to manage multiple projects, each with a different deadline, and sometimes with competing priorities.
- Agency experience an asset.
- Ability to work in French an asset.
Please submit a cover letter, resumé, and select examples of your work by Thursday, March 29th at 6:00 p.m. EDT. Late applications will not be considered.
Email your application to Tammy Van Eck (email@example.com), with the subject line, “ICC Application: Graphic Designer, Communications – [your full name]”.
We thank all candidates for their interest but only those selected for interviews will be contacted and asked to submit their portfolios.
ICC is an equal opportunity employer committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes, and work environments that support a diverse workforce. If you require accommodation measures during any aspect of the recruitment process, we will work with you to address your needs. Information related to accommodation measures will be treated as confidential.
Applied Arts Creative Careers is the popular section for creatives on the move and an ideal platform for employers and recruiters needing to fill a position quickly. Contact Vicki Hoysa phone at 416.510.0909 ext. 30 or via email vicki at appliedartsmag dot com.
Subscribe now to Applied Arts and be part of the 2018 year! Subscribing gives you access to both the print and digital editions.